[Yaesu] FT990 - very ill

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT990 - very ill
From: dgmaley@soli.inav.net (David G. Maley)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:34:03 -0600 (CST)
I had a similar situation on a FT-900.  Felt really dumb when I realized
what had happened.  Check to see if you have the same situation.
Yaesu ties the speaker return back to case ground in the radio.  There
is no problem with this unless you happen to tie  the same lead
indirectly back to the power supply negative.  My power cable negative
lead came loose.  This allows all the radio power to ruturn through
the speaker negative lead.  It makes some strange noises right before a
small foil burns off the audio output circuit.  Yaesu advises to put
a 1/2 amp fuse in the speaker ground lead to prevent this.
Dave  WA0ZZG