[Yaesu] FT1000MP RIT frequency jumping - optical encoder is broken?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP RIT frequency jumping - optical encoder is broken?
From: ly2bm@aiva.lt (Rimantas Baltusis)
Date: Sat Feb 1 09:52:04 2003
Hello, reflector
I have been using FT1000MP since 1998. Recently I found that VFO frequency is
chaotic jumping several kc then I rotate RIT knob. There was no any mechanical
impact.

A few years ago a similar subject was discussed on this reflector. Some hams
pointed that it was likely RIT optical encoder  broken and the only way to cure
this problem was to replace it.

My questions:

1) is it really optical RIT encoder broken? what otherwise?

2) is it impossible to repair RIT encoder at home?

3) does anybody can explain where I can buy (order) this specific part? My
search on internet is fruitless. A local ham's equipment dealer have never
heard about such problem.

Tnx,

Rimas, LY2BM