[Yaesu] FT1kD (Low-level/Aux) AF OUT Interface

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1kD (Low-level/Aux) AF OUT Interface
From: wa.tworsx@verizon.net (Vince)
Date: Sun Jul 20 11:19:45 2003
Hello Groups:

Is anyone making use of the AF OUT audio for digital mode interfacing?
I find that this low level output is not sufficient for driving my
Ensoniq S5016 AudioPCI sound card when using MMTTY.

Also, in spite of contrary information in the FT-1000 Operating Manual,
the front panel AF and RX MIX controls on my radio DO affect the signals
at the AF OUT mini phone jack. My radio is an early production run; is
this an error in the Op Manual or a production change ? Do those
controls affect the output signal level at the AF OUT mini phone jack on
your FT1k(D) ?

I have connected the AF OUT to the mic INPUT of the sound card and see
very small peaks when tuning a RTTY signal with MMTTY.  Decoded RTTY
printed text is poor, so I have gone back to using the PHONES audio
output (to the sound card LINE INput).

Is there a need for an external amplifier or a voltage step-up
(isolation) transformer when using the low-level AF OUT signal ?  I
think I will try a voltage step-up transformer, since I will need
isolation between equipment (chassis) grounds.

Comments/thoughts ?

73, de ~ Vince ~
WA2RSX   IOTA  NA-026