I had a problem like yours. I shared the repair method with this reflector
a few years ago, and I am pasting it into this email for you. I hope that
this will be helpful.
In the past, I had a perplexing problem where the main tuning knob
would not stay put. After tuning, it would usually begin to rotate as
much as several Khz in the opposite direction.
I've recently found the fix for this which is quite simple:
1. Remove the rubber skirt on the knob.
2. Loosen the set-screw using an allen wrench and remove the knob.
3. There is a spiral spring wrapped around 2 parts - one being a
small plastic washer.
4. Remove the spring by carefully rotating it counter clockwise - it
should unscrew and easily slip off of the assembly.
5. Now, make sure the plastic washer is snugly against the part in
back of it on the shaft.
6. Next, carefully screw the spring back on by rotating it clockwise
as it is being lightly
7. Rotate the spring clockwise, as far as you're able to with your
fingers (no tools!).
8. Replace the knob, tighten the set screw, and put the rubber skirt
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Reichlyn" <Stephen.Reichlyn@ryansci.com>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 9:35 PM
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000D tuning knob loose
> The tension on the main tuning knob on my FT1000D is so loose that, at
> times, the knob turns by itself. Can
> anyone guide me to a way to tighten it up?
> Steve AA4V
> Stephen Reichlyn
> Ryan Scientific, Inc.
> 843-884-4911 ext 302
> 843-884-5568 (fax)
> Yaesu mailing list