Re: [Yaesu] FT1000D tuning knob

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT1000D tuning knob
From: Leo Sapiets <leo@eighth-rank.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:47:27 +0000
>The main tuning knob on this FT1000D that I am currently using is a bit too
>limber. It has a tendency to 'drift' when I release it. Is there a way to
>tighten up the torque on this knob?
>
>73, Dave - W5UN

Hi Dave
A while ago, Riki Kline put out a note about this problem - copy
below. Hope it helps.
Leo G0HZX

From: "R. Kline" <4x4nj@iname.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 04:46:17 -0000

Hi Barry,
I wrote a note to this reflector regarding eliminating
undesirable
"self-motion" tuning of the main tuning knob (after stopping
turning
the knob - it would move in the reverse direction) .  I think the
adjustment procedure for the knob is quite evident after you
remove it
and see the mechanism.  I will describe what I believe to be the
answer to your question.  However,  please consider this to be my
personal opinion and not one of someone experienced in this
matter.

Remove the plastic skirt - it slips off.  Then loosen the set
screw
with an Allen wrench.  Remove the knob from the shaft.  You will
see a
spiral spring that pulls  a small plastic disk  in towards the
radio
(that disk is evidently what causes the friction).  By using ONLY
your
fingers, carefully rotate the spring counterclockwise and you
will be
able to remove it.  Then push the disk up against the rest of the
mechanism with one hand while you replace the spring while
rotating it
clockwise with your other hand.  The more you rotate it
clockwise, the
greater will be the pressure of the small disk on the rest of the
mechanism, and the greater will be the force required to rotate
the
knob.  Next put the knob back on, tighten the set screw, and
replace
the plastic skirt.

If you try this procedure, or any other procedure, please let me
know
how it works out for you.
73,
Riki, 4X4NJ