[Yaesu] Yaesu FT 101EE ALC

To: bigtpranch@aol.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT 101EE ALC
From: certified-electronics@juno.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:02:30 +0000
Gary, Thanks for the vote of approval in writing to me directly.
I'm still on the group but I don't contribute as much as I use to.
I'm too busy working on rigs and amplifiers and don't have the time
to write as much as I would like to.

I take it from what you are saying, you have no output on SSB at all.
I'm also assuming you have good power output on all bands.
Did you try and check modulation on AM mode ~output at approx 20 watts.
See if you can hear your microphone audio in another receiver for
starters and
try to confirm your microphone is working.

Take the advice from Guillermo - LU8EYW and double check your
idle current on SSB without modulation before you do anything else.  Make
sure it's at 60 ma, if not adjust it for 60 ma and leave it alone after
that.
Do not attempt excessive tuning of your PA, take it easy on your finals
as
they are getting costly.

Sounds to me like you might have ALC problems if you have no
output in SSB.  If the transmitter power output is zero in SSB mode,
and NORMAL IN THE TUNE MODE, it is possible that the transceiver has
ALC problems.  With the transmitter loaded in the tune position, switch
to the SSB
mode and ground the anode of D2 ALC rectifier.  Whistle into the mike and
see if transmitter power output is back to normal.  D2 can be found by
looking into
the bottom of the PA stage with all shielding removed.
You will see two diodes, D3 going to ground and D2 is
connected to D3 anode.  Both of these diodes sit very near the base of
the two final amplifier tube sockets of a small terminal strip and are
easy to find.
Be careful when probing around in the bottom of the
transceiver and be aware there is high voltages under the chassis, just
had to
throw that in as a disclaimer!  Just be careful and use common sense.
Let me know if you any luck with this.  Ground D2 and talk into the
microphone
see if you get your full power back on the watt meter.  I assume you have
a place where you can turn the rig on it's side and gain access to the
bottom
of the rig and by all means use a dummy load and be careful when under
that chassis.

Regards
CL. Maher
W4CLM