[Yaesu] FT-1000MP dies when warmed up

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP dies when warmed up
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:16:17 -0600
While waiting for a copy of the Technical Supplement to
arrive from Yaesu for the original FT-1000MP (BTW  they
just received a few from Japan--so they are back in stock
apparently) I decided to fish for some answers here on
the reflector.

I have a stock MP (NOT Mark V or Field) with Inrad filters.  It has
been working for the past year--it was purchased used but worked
flawlessly until now--but it has recently developed the problem of
the receiver dying after an hour or so of receiver operation.

If anyone has an experience with these issues I would appreciate
hearing from you.

Here are the symptoms---

--It runs for an hour plus and then dies.  But the death is not instantaneous
        but rather it takes a few (couple of) seconds for it to fade out.

--In dual RX both channels die--since the phased locked loops
        are separate this would indicate that it is not a synthesizer--
        but rather a problem in an area common to both RX channels

--When I hit the MOX button, putting it into TX it will return to RX OK for
        a few seconds and then it fades out in another second or two

--Initial indications are that it is on ALL bands--so it is not a band pass
        filter problem in the front end.

--The fadeout is in the RF since the S meter also stops indicating--rather
        than in an audio stage.

--No display flashes -- once again making me think it is not the
        synthesizers.

--The failure appears to be the same whether the antenna is hooked
up to either A or B position OR even hooked into the direct RX position.

Maybe I just need to get on the air and do some high-speed QSK CW
to exercise the antenna relay.   But once it heats up it will only recover
for a second or two when it is switched into transmit and then back to
receive, no matter how many times I try to exercise the relay.

THANKS--John W0UN

---