Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000D firmware upgrade

To: "'Jim Monahan'" <K1PX@msn.com>, <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000D firmware upgrade
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:48:31 -0400
Jim,

Which version of ROM does your FT-1000D use?  Hold the 1.5 and 7
buttons while turning on the radio.  This will perform the "Las
Vegas" test and display the firmware version.

Firmware version 6.0 is the latest available for the unit.

> In trying to get the CAT System to function, it appears that it is
> not compatible with the existing firmware in the radio as indicated
> by other sources.

If you have Firmware version 6., try adding a 1.5 K resistor from
serial out (pin 2 of the CAT DIN) to ground.  The FT-1000D (and
FT-990) use an open emitter transistor to drive SO.  It does not
include a "pull down" resistor.  The input of many TTL to RS-232
converters (including the ARRL Handbook design) that use 7407 TTL
buffers are not pulled down well enough to be reliable.  The
"missing" pull down is independent of the firmware version.  At
some point, Yaesu began adding the pull down to production units.

> An e-mail to Yaesu, so far, has not been responded to.

If you need new firmware, forget e-mail and call Yaesu parts at:
(714) 827-7600.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV