[Yaesu] G800SA issues

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] G800SA issues
From: "Robert Pack (NX5M)" <nx5m@txcyber.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:55:03 -0500
About 4 years ago lightning hit the 15m tower where a G800 was used to turn one
of the antennas.  The control line was not disconnected and when I went into
the shack I found the cover of the indicator laying on the opposite side of the
room.  When I turned the controller on it worked for a few seconds but then
smoked.  Not knowing the condition of the rotor itself I just replaced the
whole set with a new G800.
In the last year or so the new G800 has decided it only wanted to rotate from
180 to about 60 (clockwise).  Generally speaking, 180 to 60, stops cold, no
rotation on around to 90, 120, 180 or to the overlap side.  It does rotate both
directions, just nothing beyond 60.  I have done everything I can do on the
ground and have pretty much decided to just replace it with something else.

The rotor that was on the tower when the lightning hit does turn all the way
around in both directions when a source voltage is applied.  I decided to hook
up the known good controller to it and found that it does turn.....but, the
overlap light stays on and the indicator does not move.
So what could be causing this?  I am not a rotor guy....although I should be.

IF I replace the rotor on the 15m tower, I will probably use the half-rotating
G800 on a special project........but the one that turns all the way around with
no indication I may just try to sell it to someone who can make it work or
might just be happy with it eventhough there is no indication.  Of course there
is no controller to go with it unless someone would want the controller that is
dead.
On the other hand, if a fix can be found for the no-direction sensing problem I
may can just put it back under the 15m antenna and bring the half-turning one
down to use on something that does not require full rotation.

Thoughts?

Bob NX5M