[Yaesu] Fwd: Re: IF MOD or ROOFING MOD.

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: [Yaesu] Fwd: Re: IF MOD or ROOFING MOD.
From: w2pky@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:02:20 +0000 (GMT)
I am using the Roofing Filter, 250hz 2nd IF and 125hz 3rd IF,
 operate a lot of 160 CW here. I do not have the ringing problem
 mentioned, however, the suggestion is to use the IPO button and
 attenuator to reduce input until the S meter is very low or no
 indication. Operators will be surprised how ringing is reduced
 and signals pop out of the noise when the antenna input is
 reduced. The "AVC" is so effective on the MK V that signals are
 compacted into the noise when there is a lot of antenna noise.

 With the 125hz CW filter I could hear weak signals 250hz [not
KC] [maybe less actually] either side of W1AW and that signal
 is 20 to 30 over S9 at my NJ QTH. Of course 1AW has the cleanest
 signal around.

 I also use the 125hz APF setting. This setup produces truly
 single signal reception. The only problem I have encountered is
 when a DX station decides to move 100hz for no reason! LOL...
 and it happens now and then... You will get use to the sharp
 tuning rather fast.

 It takes a while to discover all the great attributes of this
 truly  things about it.

 73;
 Bill
 W2PKY