Re: [Yaesu] FT-990 CAT interface issues

To: Chris Parnell <cparnell1001@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT-990 CAT interface issues
From: Mike <nf4l@nf4l.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:37:33 -0500
Chris Parnell wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have recently purchased a beautiful FT-990 with Rom version 1.2.0
> and although I realise there are issues with communicating with
> certain log programs etc, I am struggling to even talk to the CAT on
> the Yaesu... I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this for me
> please.
>
> I have tried controlling the CAT from many programs such as MixW & HRD
> on a PC and even MacLogger DX on the Mac.
> All I get is a message returned stating that there is no
> communication. On MacLogger you can see from the program that the
> radio is sending information back but it comes back as hieroglyphics.
>
> The interface is a USB interface.
>
> Cheers & Hope someone can assist with some ideas.
>
> Chris Parnell - ZL1CDP

Chris -
Random thoughts ....
Did you load a driver for the USB/serial converter?
Is there another serial device that you could try it with?
Another cable?
The "Cat" on the 990 display will blink if they're talking to each
other. If it blinks, but doesn't do the right thing, serial port parms
are most likely wrong.
Does the USB cable show in Device manager as a serial (com) port? Or
whatever the Mac equivalent is?
Are the serial parameters correct? 4800 baud, 1 start bit, 8 data bits,
no parity, 2 stop bits.
73, Mike NF4L