[Yaesu] FT990 tuner problem. START makes tx, but does not start tuning.

To: "yaesu@contesting.com" <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT990 tuner problem. START makes tx, but does not start tuning.
From: Sat Q <privacy4me2please@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I have a problem with a 990. Somehow the tuner fails, when I press START only
TX comes on, but there is no tuning action.
When I switch the backup switch on the tuner board off, an press MOX, for
example in CW, the transceiver starts to tune on most bands (exept 160 and
80m). This makes me think the tuner still works, but why will it not work when
pressing tune START. I browsed through the schematics, but I can’t find how the
tuner control board gets the start tune command.

Can anyone tell me how this toner works, where to look for, or should I look
for another tuner (control board)

Kind regards,

Edwin PE1PWF