Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000 Tuning Upgrade Kit Instructions from International R

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000 Tuning Upgrade Kit Instructions from International Radio Services
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:09:00 -0400
Been traveling much during June, but as promised, here are my findings concerning the FT-1000D memory loss issue. First, the RAM chip was replaced on the Control Board. No luck. The RAM chip is the terminating point for the battery back-up. As noted earlier, battery voltage measured fine all the way to the RAM power pin.

Next, I replaced the EEPROM chip. Several on-line vendors sell V6.0 ROMs. After replacement, the FT-1000D functions as new. Possibly the EEPROM had become corrupt over the years as in the case where long-term exposure to low light level can still affect programming. So, problem solved and the owner of the FT-1000D is very happy.

BTW, I jettisoned the International Radio tuning upgrade board and rewired the FT-1000D back to stock condition. I did this to aid in troubleshooting with the thought that if the root cause of the problem was found, I would re-install it. However, I did not detect any real value in the device and so the FT-1000D remains as a stock transceiver.

Paul, W9AC

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Christensen