[Yaesu] Level of radio and SSB performance

To: yaesu@contesting.com, yaesu reflector <yaesu@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Yaesu] Level of radio and SSB performance
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 21:11:23 -0500
Last year I was able to use a Yaesu FT1000D for a couple of months, and was
surprised at how much better it seemed to be doing on SSB contacts compared
to my normal rigs.  Yes, it does 200 watts which is a 3DB gain, which
sometimes can make a huge difference, but I was also thinking that maybe
the SSB transmit audio was more "powerful".

Now over the past decade or so my rigs have pretty much been either an Icom
706 series, a Yaesu FT857 or FT100D, or a Yaesu FT450.  Most of these are
mobile rigs and use AF speech processing, when RF speech processing is
better.

Anyways, might I get better SSB performance by going to a traditional base
rig?  Do these mobile type radios tend to have whimpier or less dominating
audio?  Would a FT990 or FT1000MP series radio probably have punchier audio?

BTW, what are some of the current and recent Yaesus that use RF speech
processing?

73 John AF5CC