Re: [Yaesu] FT1000MP overheating and audio failure

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT1000MP overheating and audio failure
From: Claude Frantz <Claude.Frantz@bayern-mail.de>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 07:37:39 +0200
On 05/28/2018 08:57 PM, Robert Shohet wrote:

Hi Bob,

> Then I took the coax from the right radio and plugged it into the
> left radio and the swr was infinite with NO audio.

If the SWR indicator of your XCVR says that the SWR is infinite (in the
case of a load which is probably nearly 50 Ω, as you said), then I see
mainly two possible reasons: The path between the output of the internal
SWR bridge to the antenna socket can be broken (perhaps at the relay),
or the SWR bridge itself is defective. Considering that the signal which
shut down the power, in the case of failure, is picked up from this SWR
bridge, the suspicion concerning this SWR bridge becomes greater. Verify
the diodes. Clearly, the power has not been reduced although the load
was notably mismatched.

> Then, all of a sudden, the left radio shut off by itself!  I pushed
> the on button and it would not turn on.  Then after ~15 minutes, I
> was able to turn it back on.  But it stayed very warm.  Hmmm... This
> annoying process repeated more and more frequently on Saturday
> morning – turning itself off and then having to wait about 15 minutes
> before I was able to turn it back on.

It's really a bad idea to try to switch on so many times, considering
this situation. I consider that it would be better to open the cabinet
in order to locate where the heat come from, beginning with the minimal
possible power setting.

Best wishes,
Claude (DJ0OT)