[AMPS] Alef 77 on 12m

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alef 77 on 12m
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:27:59 -1000
Dave Barton, AF6S came up with a simple and elegant solution to the
Alpha RF choke 12m series-resonance problem a few years ago. His
solution was accomplished for a different model, but it sounds like the
same or a similar choke is involved.

Dave moved the series resonance, not by switching anything, but by
detuning it. He placed a closed ring of wire around the choke---a
shorted turn "transformer" winding. This moved the resonance away from
24.9 MHz and enabled operation there. Neat, and not gaudy.

I don't recall where on the RF choke he placed the turn--I have never
owned an Alpha, so that level of detail was irrelevant to me.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, "The DXer," newsletter of the NCDXC