[AMPS] PS regulation cont.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PS regulation cont.
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 14:16:26 +0000
KM1H wrote:
>The total C is 24MF (2 x 12MF @ 4KV oil filled).
>IMO, a PS choke is a complete waste of money and resourses unless it is
>for an AM amplifier or  modulator. Henry Radio has its fans.....so fire
>the flame throwers. It is more cost and performance effective to
>design/utilize the transformer and  the complete PS around the
>application.

I forgot to mention transformers in my other message and I totally agree
with what Carl is saying. Unless your buying a new transformer with the
ratings expected, you might be unsatisfied with the performance of
something bought at fleamarket. Unfortunally the only way your going to
find out about the voltage drop sometimes is to load the thing down and
see whats its going to do. One tip is to find out what service the
transformer was in before you buy it. That can give you a clue if it
will handle the ratings you want.
  If you not planning to run AM forget the choke idea and spend the
money on a better plate transformer. A good bleeder resistor, that can
handle some current, will also help regulation of the supply.
Ron W4WA