[AMPS] General amp questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] General amp questions
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:22:34 -0800 (PST)
UNFORTUNATELY, this technique is problematic with amps having a lot of
critical control circuits (like modern Alphas 86, 89, 91B, 87A) since it
won't turn on until it has most of the voltage it needs to drive the low
voltage circuits.  You can, of course, go in and cut the high voltage
circuit loose from the rest of the amp, but its dangerous, messy and a
pain.
The computer-style electrolytics used in the Alphas have never been the
failure point for me in any of my amps (3) or any of the amps I wind up
getting to fix (7).  If the electrolytics in your amp have gone, consider
redoing them with the nice Blue Japanese Computer Grade Electrolytics --
maybe you'll have more luck.
(For example, I got one Alpha 78 that had been on a shelf for abt 10
years and it fired right up without taking any special precautions).
Good luck
Dave N7UE

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Bill Turner wrote:

> The best way to fire up an amplifier (or anything else with unknown
> problems) is to use a Variac and bring up the voltage slowly while
> monitoring the current drawn.  Saves a lot of fuses.
>
> 73, Bill W7TI
> wrt@eskimo.com
>
> --

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C. -- Intellectual Property Lawyers
3521 E. Yorkshire Road, Pasadena, CA  91107-5432
818-683-8800 (TEL)   818-683-8900 (FAX)   dbr@alumni.caltech.edu