[AMPS] Alpha Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha Amps
From: n4uq@mindspring.com (Dick Byrd)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:38:22 -0500
At 09:39 AM 3/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I know that the ETO 76 and 374 series amps have been discontinued for
>quite some time.  While I was at Dayton a year or two ago, I stopped and
>asked the ETO rep if the 77SX version was still in production?  I think
>he said yes. Can anyone verify this? Isn't it true that the 77 series
>included the 77DX single tube version and the 77SX dual tube version?

Alpha rigs with a '7' as the prefix have not been produced for over a decade.
You are lucky if you can get parts for them. Same story on the 374 and 374-A.
Current production rigs are the 86, 87A and 91Beta.

The 77DX as shipped from the factory is a single tube model with capability
for a second tube.  (Kits are $475 from me.)  Many have been converted so the
DX suffix can be misleading.  SX rigs are factory two-tube models and were for
export and Military use.  Supposedly no SX rigs were sold to hams in the US.

>I have also heard these amps referenced as 77D as opposed to 77DX (and I
>guess the same for the 77S/SX).  Does anyone know what the difference
>between the letter suffixes? (S, D, SX, DX)  Also, for you guys that
>have one of these amps (1 & 2 hole) what is the "realistic" power out of
>these amps running wide open?

The 77D was an earlier model.  After several minor improvements, the X was
added.
I hate to open this can of worms because mileage does vary but generally a
single tube rig with about 75 watts drive should produce 2300 to 2500 watts
output if you whistle into the mic or hold the key down.
With two good tubes and 150 watts drive, the output should be around 4000
watts.  With 200 watts you can pin a 5000 Bird meter.  A little less on 160,
15 and 10.

>I also have seen reference to an external transformer that  was used
>with one of these 77 series amps, I guess it was an option to beef up
>the power supply, any truth to this?

Peter Dahl sells a external rated at 2 Amps continuous duty.  The stock
ETO internal transformer is rated at 1.8 amps intermittent duty, I think.

>I see them for sale from time to time used but how much were they new?

Two-holers sell for 4 to 5 K$.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't know
where any are for sale.

>How is the reliability of the 2 hole version, RTTY and SSB?

With a two-holer you can run contest-mode in either SSB or CW at twice the
legal limit all weekend.
RTTY has most to do with operating practices and how much heat is being
produced.  Reducing power some would be advisable.

>Seems that a 2 hole version would last a lifetime at 1500w out
>regardless of the mode.

Yep!