[AMPS] Solid State amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State amps
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:22:11 -1000
David L. Thompson wrote:

> Rumor is that OH2BH was building SS amps for his Dxpeditions.........
>
> Dave K4JRB

In fact, a series of solid-state amps is now marketed by Pekka
Kolehmainen, OH1RY under the name FinnFET. These are the amps Martti has
been using, and I think there were several at the recent C21BH
operation. Pekka brought one along for the Conway Reef DXpedition two
years ago; unfortunately it went overboard in the first capsizing. It
was recovered, but not useable on the Reef.

Serious Contest DXpeditioners have already begun to avail themselves of
these amplifiers, and they were used in the recent ARRL DX Contest. I
would guess Pekka and Martti are using them this weekend in WPX from EA8
and EA9. While the amps are not inexpensive, they are lightweight (they
use switching power supplies), compact and broadband. The amp and power
supply fit in a small, metal instrument case--very convenient for
travel. Several power levels are available.

I have no commercial affiliation with Pekka's operation. I wish I
did--the reports I have gotten indicate these are great units!
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, "The DXer," newsletter of the NCDXC