[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 23:21:57 EDT
On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 23:34:55 GMT wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner) writes:
>On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:36:03 EDT, km1h@juno.com wrote:
>
>>I guess the question I have is why anyone would wish to give up a
>bullet
>>proof workhorse amp such as the AL-1200 for something completely
>unknown
>>with no track record such as the QRO?
><snip>
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>"Bullet proof" is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but my
>experience would rate it a bit more tender than that.
>
>The AL-1200 is probably fine for CW/SSB operation, but running it at
>full power on RTTY will overheat the tank coils on 80 and 160 meters.
>There is nothing in the manual to caution you against this. During a
>recent contest, mine got hot enough to melt the solder connecting the
>80 meter tap.  The plastic support rods also melted and the coil
>twisted itself into a pretty good slinky imitation.  It needs more
>cooling air in the tank area.  Cost about $25 for a replacement coil.
>
>Also, the step-start circuit is not slow enough in my opinion.  With
>the original factory circuit, the delay is only a fraction of a second
>and one can observe a major arc when the relay closes.  I tore the
>whole circuit out and installed a real time-delay relay set for about
>three seconds and now it's much better behaved.  I can't imagine the
>original step start relay lasting very long at all.  You'd have to see
>that arc to believe it.  It was brutal.
>
>The power supply does seem to be well designed and constructed,
>though.  When the unit was about 8 months old, the tube developed an
>anode to grid short with the accompanying flash and bang, but there
>was no damage to the power supply or meters at all.  Ameritron
>replaced the tube with no questions asked and the replacement has been
>running for about a year now with no problems.
>
>It's a pretty good amp, but "bullet proof"....?  I don't think so.
>
>73, Bill W7TI

Well nothing is perfect Bill. With all the bitchin & Moaning I do with
W8JI I still feel the AL-1200 is the best amp that was and still is
available for a fair price today. My experience is "only" in serious
contesting duty....and I stress the word serious.

I have zero interest in RTTY and seriously doubt the ability of any "ham"
amp to run 1500W on RTTY for very long. ....they were not designed for
that fringe area service.

Please dont take me the wrong way here Bill....RTTY is fine  for those
who enjoy it BUT it is not a mainline interest or concern to the
commercial interests. The numbers just dont add up.

Besides, anyone who tries to mess up 160 with RTTY noise is usually
chased off quickly anyway; at least on this coast.

73....Carl    KM1H