[AMPS] 3CX3000A7 Filamen Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX3000A7 Filamen Choke
From: vk6apk@faroc.com.au (Alek Petkovic)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 07:10:56 +0800
G'day from Down Under,
                                   Our current project is a 3CX3000A7 GG
amplifier. We have built the power supply and are now starting the main
grunt department. The amp will be a monobander for 20m, with a possibility
of changing tank coils to operate other bands but that may come later.

The question is the filament choke. The filament runs 7.5V @ 50A and we
were wondering how to wind a suitable choke. What we have in mind is to
tape 3 or 5 ferrite rods (3/8" diam is all that is avail in Australia) and
winding the HEAVY DUTY bifilar coil around the bundle so that we have a
decent diameter to wind the thick wire onto.

Is it OK to bundle up the ferrite rods in this manner to build up the
winding diameter? If you have any knowledge or experience with this, we
would appreciate your input.

We do not wish to buy any ready made components for this amp as we do not
wish to spend any money to build the thing.

73 to all,
de Alek VK6APK and his mate Alex VK6KCC.