[AMPS] Technical Question #1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Technical Question #1
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:43:06 EDT
On Tue, 19 May 1998 07:24:50 +0000 Tom Rauch
<10eesfams2mi@mass1-pop.pmm.mci.net> writes:
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Sun, 17 May 1998 18:28:00 -0400 (EDT)
>> From:          km1h@juno.com
>> Subject:       [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
>> To:            amps@contesting.com
>
>> I have not heard an answer yet Tom...perhaps you are at Dayton but
>"we"
>> patiently await your reply .
>
>Just got home to the unfriendly reflector. Hopefully I won't miss
>anything by deleting MOST of the 198 messages from this and one other
>reflector without reading them!
>
>> >In an amplifier that is properly tuned and not underloaded and into
>> >known good antenna with no intermittents, no relay problems or any
>> >other excuse....why would it suddenly arc the bandswitch while
>being
>> >operated?  Assume the original design parasitic suppressor is in
>place
>> >and known good.
>
>No one can answer a question like that with a single answer, unless
>that person has a preconceived notion that every failure is
>rooted in only one cause.

Well, give it a try with as little posturing as possible.

>With that in mind, let me ask this:
>
>Is this an amplifier that you personally watched first hand in a test
>setup, or are the parameters above gleaned from a second source?

Both. But the amps I witnessed were not SB-220's or had 3-500Z's.
I would still prefer to stick to the SB-220 and related clones since they
are so popular and the majority of readers can relate to them. Roughly 4
out of 10 SB-220's that I buy have some sort of switch damage...which is
why they are for sale...cheap. In almost every case, the owners say the
amp was tuned and operating perfectly fine and the switch arced for no
obvious reason.

Sorry I had to miss Dayton but working 3B7RF on 160M made up for it.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]