[AMPS] Purchase Recommendation?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Purchase Recommendation?
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:49:03 +0100
Paul says:

> In my opinion, all transceivers should incorporate a seperate ALC or Drive
>control for this purpose

Well, a drive control, rather than ALC, but yes I agree. I have seen
attempts at drive control by changing ALC loop gain, which doesn't work.
I'll stick my neck out here, and say that I don't really like ALC, anyway. A
linear transmitter set up so that the processed RF envelope peaks don't
attempt to drive it beyond its linear region is far better than relying on
ALC to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. (If that's an
acceptable simile in these politically corrrect times!) If the transmit
chain is truly linear, then once the CW rise and fall times have been fixed,
they should stay the same over the whole power range. Incidentally, why do
so many transceivers these days have to have such very short rise and fall
times that they click all over the band?

73

Peter G3RZP