[AMPS] Re:More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 99 09:58:26 -0500
Jan.E.Holm@telia.se wrote:

>     Yes a very correct discription by Larry. Over here circulators
>      are also very common on 160 and 80 MHz, never seen any below
>      80 MHz however.
>
>      73, Jim SM2EKM
>
>      PS: Yes I´ll bet it will be a big mother on 14 MHz, maybe
>      KE9NA could figure out how big since he did bring it up.

Hi Jim,

Well, I don't know how big it would be!  The ferrite pieces would indeed be
huge and probably pretty lossy.  In fact, the garnets (a special type of
ferrite) probably couldn't be manufactured.  I suppose you could build the
isolator on some type of ultra high dielectric circuit board to shrink the
size.  But then you have more losses, etc.  My example was strictly theoretical
and I probably should have used a higher frequency in my example!

I have seen an isolator for 450 MHz that was about 1.5" square.  That is the
smallest I've ever seen for that low a frequency.

In my days of designing microwave and cellular amps, we'd use them all the time
to fool the amplifiers into thinking they were running into 50 Ohm loads!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na