[AMPS] Eimac 8904

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Eimac 8904
From: k1ta@contesting.com (Bob Marston)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:08:19 -0800
Hi Werner and Company

I can't give you an exact answer but I do think I have some information
that will shed some light on the question at hand. In what I call the
"Eimac Quicksheet", http://www.eimac.com/catindex.html there is lists for 3
different variants of the 4CX-5000. The 4CX-5000A/8170, the 4CX-5000J/8909
and the 4CX-5000W/8170/W. The A variant is the standard and most abundant.
The J variant is designed for low IMD while the R variant is ruggedize to
with a high vibration environment. The A has the standard Hairpin filament
while the J and R types use a Mesh Filament. All three version use the same
filament voltage 7.5 volts but the J Variant requires 103 Amps where as the
A and W need 75 amps. My guess and its only a guess is the J was designed
and manufactured for military use as IMD is inconsequential in Class C
operation which is what the broadcasting industry uses. Likewise a
ruggedized version of the tube would mostly likely be specified by the
military.

Again this is only a guess, and guessing can be very dangerous at these
power levels, but it looks to me Werner that you have obtained a tube using
the same basic design as the 8909. I would do a little more digging around
may be someone else here (Amps Reflector) has direct knowledge of the
subject at hand. Try digging around through the Eimac Web page.

73s and Happy Hunting

Bob