[AMPS] Anode impedance transformation on ten meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Anode impedance transformation on ten meters
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 09:42:54 +0000
Here a question on pi filters.

First of all I have to declare that I do not know very much about the
theories on pi/piL filters. I am quite lazy and usually use the empirical
cut and try method. Measuring output and harmonics with a spectrum analyzer
I tried to find a combination of good output and relatively low harmonics. I
understand  from the very lively discussion that has been on this reflector,
that there are quite a number of guys who know very much of the theory
behind these often used circuits. Therefore I expect to get an expert answer
to my, maybe, naive question:

In order to get a good effiency on 28 MHz why not lower the anode impedance
by inserting an  inductance beetween the anode and filter? I see an example
in my 1991 ARRL HANDBOOK an example:

A tube with 3500 ohms anode impedance and 10 pF output capacitance is
transformed into 1481 ohms and 16 pF by inserting a 1 uH inductance beetween
anode and output filter. Will this inductance act as a parasite choke as
well?

Prosit de Hans SM5KI