[AMPS] 3-500z going dead?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500z going dead?
From: kpevin@mediaone.net (Kevin Polchan)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:33:24 -0600
hi Pete,

Well now things are getting interesting.  The 220 outlet has the white
(nuetral) lead on the ground pin and a red and white on the other two.  i
remember reading someplace that the neutral shouldnt be used at the outlet,
just the 2 hots and the ground to the ground on the outlet box.  Perhaps
someone can shed some light on that...

Just for the heck of it I switched the two hots around on the outlet (the
filament winding runs runs off of one 120v leg) and now the filament voltage
is down to around 4.4 volts and it varies up and down enough to see the
brightness of the tube change (not transmitting for all tests).  The voltage
from the filament winding with no tube is steady at 5.9 volts.

There is a bulkhead connector between the transformer and the rf deck that
uses what almost looks like treaded in bananna style plugs.  Unfortunately
it will take some major disassembly just to measure the voltage from the
transformer itself.

Back to 120v to see what happens...  It appears that the transformer has
been replaced and it is the correct part number.

Thanks again,
Kevin