SV: [AMPS] AL-80 / SB-1000 circuit improvements

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] AL-80 / SB-1000 circuit improvements
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:15:42 -0700
>Rich you now said:
>
>"4.  disregard the users' manual's ok of more than 500mA of anode current.
> No 3-500Z/8008 manufacturer has Ever rated this tube at more than 400mA."
>
>This 500 mA  is a EIMAC IVS rating

There is no IVS rating on the Eimac 3-500Z/8008 spec sheet.  One of our
"recognized amplifier experts" once stated that he had an official Eimac
letter approving his >500mA figure in the SB-1000 manual.   My guess is
that he never produced the letter because it never existed.  The
3-500Z/8008 is simply not capable of producing that much peak emission in
linear operation. .

> - the same as beeing used for the 8873,
>8875 and 8874.

The IVS rating only applies to some oxide-cathode tubes -  such as the
8873/4/5 and 3CX800A7. .  The 3-500Z/8008  does not have an
oxide-cathode, Hans.

> These tubes are rated 350 mA max anode current but have been
>used up to 500 mA in many amplifiers in the past.  With no harm if you are
>careful

It is impossible to harm the epitaxially-bonded tungsten dicarbide
emissive layer in a filament-type tube.

>- my old HENRY K2000 still uses the original 8873 tubes with almost
>full output. But the question is, if the now avaiable emission, after more
>than 20 years usage, does give flat-topping?

In a new 3-500Z/8008, flat-topping begins at roughly 420mA.  400mA
appears to be a reasonable rating.

>The IVS system is a trade -off beetween tube life, distorsion and economy.
>If you are not on the air all the time this IVS system is cheaper.
>Eventually distorsion will increase to the point where the amp will be the
>dominating factor in the transceiver + amp system. Because, as far as I
>understand, 13 volt finals in transceivers have more distorsion than 28 or
>48 versions and may in most cases dominate the system total distorsion. If
>you on the other hand use one of the high voltage transceiver finals such as
>the excellent low distorsion TS 950 ( 48 volts ) or one of the old COLLINS
>rigs , you have to use negative feedback ( as in the SB220 )

Not really.

> and, as you
>say, limit your anode current to max 400 mA in a 3 -500Z. In order to match
>the low distorsion transceiver.
>
>Have not seen any distorsion measurments with 500 mA anode current- so
>maybe you are right in your statement? Better ask EIMAC, maybe.

I measured the distortion from a SB-1000 driven to 500mA.  It was not
good news.  The owner added 25- ohms of RF-NFB resistance to the cathode,
the anode current decreased to c. 400mA, the input match improved on some
bands, and the splatter was so small that it didn't matter.  .

cheers, Hans