[AMPS] SSB interference

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SSB interference
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:58:39 -0500
.

> I don't want to ever put out a bad signal.  I'm thankful that I have a
> means, through other hams on the net I check into, to give me a reading of
> relative signal quality.  Is there a better way?
>
> 73 de Ron, K5BDJ

Hi Ron,

I listen to my signal on a separate receiver from time to time, that
is tapped off the main output line through a high attenuation
bridging tap.

So far as I know, the only way to accurately measure BW is by
somehow looking at bandwidth.

The problem with looking at only amplitude response is when non-
linearity is indicated, some shapes of non-linearity don't cause
IMD. To make matters worse if the distortion occurs before the
SSB filter, the filter will remove the IMD products! So things can be
a lot cleaner than an overall linearity test will indicate, if you look
only at amplitude linearity.

The other problem is a signal that looks very linear can still be very
wide!

The best test is to measure what you want to know as directly as
possible. If you want to measure bandwidth, then measure
bandwidth if you can.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com