[AMPS] Re: Poor science

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Poor science
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:13:50 -0700

>> Don't know  other than the plate ampmeter showed no idling current when the
>> amp was not keyed.
>
>My inclination is now turning toward a short from anode to ground through
>the grid.
>An ammeter in the cathode lead would remain at zero during an event like
>this.
>A tell-tale pile of grid pieces in the bottom of the tube envelope lead me
>down this path.  A purely uneducated guess eight years after the fact from
2000
>miles away!

This scenario would have required broken anode cooler welds - which
allowed the anode cooler to tip sideways and touch the grid.  Terry did
not report such an occurrence.
If Terry still has the fil./grid shorted tubes, I can disassemble them,
photograph what I find, and post it on my Web site.

cheers, Phil