[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hi Power Connectors
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:23:02
>Why so much horsepower?

It wasn't to say that I was going to actually need that much
horsepower, but indicative of the Chevy Small Block V8.
Typically the 350 comes in 300 or so HP variety.

>One horsepower will typically produce a little less than one-half
kilowatt with a normal alternator.

I also have to worry about rotational speed, and the extra drag
created by the alternator and its fan (I use special fans to protect
the windings).

>300 horsepower should be enough
>for a hundred kilowatts of supply power if the supplies have decent
>construction and the system is designed correctly.

For the current "world Champ" suburban, they use a nitrous injected
big block motor taken from a dragster.  The compression is lowered,
and a host of other modifications are done to lower the horsepower
from the over 1000 mark to around 500.  Bulletproof at that level,
though.

>Most people drive all the alternators off the crank snout. The snout
isn't designed to run more than normal accessories plus a safety
margin.

Agreed, however, it is a bit harder to keep a single motor vehicle
going with 8 alternators hung off the backside of the motor.  Thats
why I am going with a seperate motor.

Not only that, all the inertia of the spinning mass on the
front aggravates twisting and torsional vibration of the crank. The
harmonic damper can't do it's job when the crank is loaded with
spinning mass on the front, and the flywheel at the rear away from
the load certainly makes things worse.

>If I had a separate engine, I'd drive the alternator from the flywheel
end.You could run 1/4 the engine size without failure with the same
load.

That is my plan.  Electric everything, driven off the main electric
system (electric cooling fans for the radiator, electric fuel / water
pump, etc.).  All the alternators will be hung off the back of the
motor.

The gentleman in Florida who has already performed this has most of
his alternators on the backside of his segregated motor.

Thanks for the advice, though, Tom!

--Toll Free