[AMPS] Metron MA 1000B - help needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Metron MA 1000B - help needed
From: W6NQ" <w6nq@rfparts.com (W6NQ)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:22:25 -0800
Follows a few additional comments on this amp:

>I used the Ameritron amp interface with the
> LK 500, and am trying to use it with the Metron amp.
> The Metron has one wire coming from the back that is
> for the relay. I guess my main question is, should this
> plug (male rca) have 12 volts coming from it ? It doesn't.

Sounds like a lot of gain with the two units.
Watch out for output RF getting into the amp input circuit
and radio mic wiring.  (The usual grounding practices.)

I can't find any data on this plug/wire.

By grounding the control line (pin 10), relays switch to TX position.
Current will be about 140 mA.
You may want to use a small transistor circuit for keying
instead of using the PTT line directly.

> The relay jack on the LK 500 did have 12 volts output.
> There is a place to put 12 volts on the Ameritron interface,
> and I tried that, and the amp does key. Problem is, when
> I unkey the rig, the output goes to zero on the amp, but
> the amp is still drawing between 5-10 amps, and the rig
> is not getting back into receieve mode. But, as soon as
> I pull the 12 volts off the Ameritron interface, then it
> does go back to receive.

Your amp may be going into oscillation.
There is an regulator circuit which supplies bias
to the transistors when the input relay is closed.
You might check this out.
Also, maybe the input relay is not droping out
due to magnitization of the core.
There may also be a defective RF transistor --
(Collector to Base short)

The amp is rated at 500W PEP for 1.8-21.5 MHz.
for 1000W DC input.
60W PEP is the rated drive level, but may be
less at some frequencies.

de Merit  W6NQ