[Amps] Reply for: Sweep tube conversion question (Tom Barber)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Reply for: Sweep tube conversion question (Tom Barber)
From: craxd1 at ezwv.com (craxd)
Date: Wed May 28 09:31:27 2003
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 06:57:35 -0700
From: Tom Barber <trbarber@earthling.net>
To: amps@contesting.com
Tom,
You can change the 6JE6/6LQ6 tube to a 6KG6/EL509 which has a magnoval base.
The 6KG6 tube is manufactured by
Svetlana and EI. There is a conversion for a Dentron GLA-1000 on Svetlanas
website. The sockets have to be re-
wired for a pin change and the tank coil modified but isn't hard at all. If
yours has two 6LQ6 tubes driving 4
6LQ6's, you will probably have to cut back on the driver to just 1 tube. The
6KG6 has a plate dissapation of
around 35-40 watts max. It has a cathode current of 500 mA. but up to 1500 mA
on a temporary overload. The
interelectrode capacitance is much lower on a 6KG6 than a 6LQ6 also. Take a
look at Svetlanas website for the
Dentron GLA-1000 conversion to get some hints. Hope this helps.

Best,

Will Matney, owner
U.S. Amplifier