[Amps] Re: PS Theory (cap int res)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re: PS Theory (cap int res)
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:47:45 +0100
kenw2dtc wrote:
I have a bank of these computer grade caps in series:  2400 mfd at 450 vdc,
2.5 inches in diameter and 4 inches long.  It looks like the PSU Designer
program shows noticeable ripple if the internal resistance of the filter cap
is too high.  How do I determine the internal resistance of my computer
grade caps?  Is there a formula, or can they be measured with regular shack
tools, or is there a ball park figure for computer grade caps, or perhaps an
old wives' tale.

The quickest option is the manufacturer's website. Alternatively, try a good L-C-R bridge.

However, don't be worried about a small amount of ripple. With a string of 6 or 8 capacitors, you must have 300-400uF in total, which is about 10 times what most amps use. With so much capacitance, the ripple is probably only causing a few percent AM modulation at 100Hz. Other people's amps have 10 times as much 100Hz modulation and it's not a serious problem.

If you're going to worry, worry about the amount of energy stored in the capacitors (again, about 10 times as much as most amps have), and what might happens if so much stored energy lets fly in an HV arc.