Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in

To: <garyschafer@comcast.net>,"Dan Sawyer" <dansawyer@earthlink.net>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb-220 tuning question - closing in
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 01:13:09 -0600
> Isn't this all getting a little over-complicated?  If both tune and
load
> controls are adjusted for maximum output at rated drive (~100
watts), there
> should be no arcing and performance should be nominal.  If you want,
add a
> little loading (clockwise) past peak output for better IMD

That's not the only reason I add a little loading past peak. I watch
the grid current and tweak the load control until the grid current
drops c. 10%. This costs you very little power output while giving
extra headroom to the grid-trip circuit, and decreases grid
dissipation a bit. This phenomina is really evident on 8877(s). Your
mileage may vary with glass bottles.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC