[Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Drake L7 newbie
From: "Thomas R. Williams" <n2cu@magtrol.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:24:11 -0500
Got the amplifier yesterday. What a beauty! I purchased it on eBay from someone
who advertised it as brand new, never used. It was exactly that. Not a scratch
or speck of dust anywhere, and the Eimac 3-500's looked like they just came off
the assembly line. Not bad for a 24 year old amp.

The L7 uses rather low plate voltage from what I read about in other handbooks;
1760 V at 0.565 A. This works out to about 1 kW input power and about 600 Watts
output. I know this is the published rating for this amplifier, but my little
SB-201 puts out the same power with a pair of 572B's. I would think that the
amp is capable of more, and the rating was put on it to be conservative. In the
SSB mode, the plate voltage is 2400 V.

Now for my questions. What are users of this amp typically running it at and is
600 W output all I should expect on CW? Can higher voltage be used without
exceeding the ratings of the tubes or amp itself?

73,
Tom N2CU <><