Re: [Amps] Chinese 8877 (3cx1500a7)

To: w4th@hotmail.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Chinese 8877 (3cx1500a7)
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:35:23 EDT
Hi Tom, I have a Penta 8877 (3CX1500A7) in my AL-1500 for some time now and
it works seemingly every bit as good as the Eimac.  As you know the AL-1500 has
no parasitic suppressor and still, no problems.  The stability of the 8877
always amazes me and I have grown to really love that tube.  One of my
conversions of an AL-1500 to 6 meters yielded 2300 watts OUTPUT on 6 meters!
No
parasitic suppressor used either on it.  If you can get any other type of 8877
that
performs well that would be great!  The Chinese 3-500's are not bad at all!  I
use RF Parts or Taylors in my SB-220 conversions on 6 meters and they work
perfectly on 6 meters!  Even the RF Parts 572B in my SB-200 conversions to 6
are
making close to 800 watts output!!  I do not thumb my nose to Chinese tubes.
I have experimented with the cheap Russian GS-35B also, the drawback to that
tube it that it is not easily replaced since it has no tube socket per se.  It
has been compared to the 8877, though it might make as much power as an 8877,
but surely with NOT the same amount of drive!!!  If you are limited to 100
watts, the tube is more like the 3CX1200A7 in power output.  For those
interested, the Ameritron AL-82, AL-1200, and AL-1500 are all the SAME
amplifier!!
Everything is the same except basically the tube.  I have owned several of all
3
types.  Here is the run down on their performance...The AL-82 with a pair of
3-500's with 100 watts drive will get 1500 watts out.  The Al-1200 with the
single 3CX1200 will make 1800 out with 100 watts drive, and the AL-1500 with
the
8877 will make 2250 watts out with 100 watts drive.  These numbers could be a
bit higher or lower depending on your line voltage, mine is 234-236 volts.  I
have seen over 245 at some buddies of mine and therefore the same amps will
make upwards of 100 watts more.  73 Tom....W1QJ Lou