Re: [Amps] Re: re cooling of coils (Ian White, G3SEK)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: re cooling of coils (Ian White, G3SEK)
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:01:34 +0100
Will Matney wrote:
Ian,
I would think a set of louvered holes at the input for the blower air in the chassis would do it. That is if they were aimed in different directions from one to the other. This would make the incoming air streams sort of bounce against each other making it turbulent I would think.

Sadly, it doesn't work that way. All that can possibly give you is a few gentle swirls in the smoothly flowing air.

The transformer gets hot because it is insulated by a stagnant layer of warm air on the surface. To create enough turbulence to scrub that layer off, you have to put in some extra mechanical energy - in other words, use a fan.