Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Equalising resistors with HV diodes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:59:41 -0700

On Sep 21, 2004, at 7:29 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

So we have a string of diodes with a few microamps flowing in the reverse
direction. If one of the diodes is rated for 200v and and there is 300v across
it, will it fail?

-- Not necessarily. I have tested diodes with a 200piv rating that measured >700v. I have also tested "1000piv" diodes that measured 900v. This is the reason why I like to test components.

I guess I haven't seen the explanation for the failure mechanism in silicon
diodes. If the reverse current really is limited will a failure inevitably
happen?

No, but the only practical way to limit reverse current to a safe value is to use more total piv than exists in the circuit. For example, in the current project, the actual piv per leg should c. 9900v. I used 14, 1000v-rated 1N5408 diodes per leg that measured c. 1300piv each on a high-pot tester. This will give a safety factor of c. 8000v.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org