[Amps] 20kw Dummy load?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 20kw Dummy load?
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:36:57 -0400
Hal,
I delved into this once using the large ceramic tubular resistors. They make there in almost any size. I have a air cooled load here that came out of a Harris piece of equipment. It has six 300 ohm resistors like that in parallel, each about 12 inches long. It handled 5 Kw easy on a test one day. I mounted the assembly in an aluminum enclosure I had made which is vented along the bottom. The top cover has four 4-3/4" muffin fans blowing across the resistor bank and out the bottom vents. At this it still had some inductance so I added an air variable cap in parallel with about a 40 pF max. I tuned it to about 30 pF as a guess by the mesh, or to where the SWR dropped to 1:1 or 1:2. When it heats up, it's no worse than about 1:5 and this after a minute or so of hammering it. The old Collins loads had a 30 pF doorknob in parallel with the four resistors in the load they made. There's no part numbers on these resistors either so I don't know who made them. I had intended on building this up from scratch until I found the resistor bank on ebay of all places. The guy had that it became a friend of mine. He had bought it for the same purpose.

It's funny you mentioned Palstar. When I was thinking about all this, I called Palstar and spoke to the owner (2+ years ago?). This was before they had this model you have there. Then, I asked him if he had to cancel out any inductance, and he said no. I mentioned then about using some capacitance like in the Collins, and he said it wouldn't work. Then I happened to visit their website a while back and seen this new load. I swear, it looked an awful lot like he added a doorknob capacitor to that resistor bank to cancel out any inductance. This after telling me that it wouldn't work and would have to be tuned all the time =)

The resistor manufacturers I contacted was Ohmite, who was very helpful, Kanthal Globar, helpful also, and Caddock. Price wise, Globar I think was cheapest and had what I wanted. Ohmite, if I recall had a long lead time and they were a non-stock item. Caddock didn't have anything large enough except some 100 watt, heatsink type resistors. Globar had some at 12" long, 1" diameter, and about matched these. They were rated at 275 watts each at 10 Kv peak max., if I recall. The 12" x 1-1/2" dia. were only rated at 150 watts and 75 Kv peak. Of course nothing will even be close to 75 Kv, or even 10 Kv. They make one that's 24" long, 2" dia. and is rated at 1 Kw, 22 Kv max. I was thinking about using two 100 ohm resistors of this in parallel for 5 Kw with a 50% derating. The 1 Kw rating is a continuous rating so a derating of 50% would be ok for short test times. Plus that 1 Kw rating is for open air. Fan cooling one would raise it's rating a good bit. In my load, going by Globars values, my six resistors would handle about 1650 watts cont. in open air. I can attest they'll take 5 Kw for about a minute+, fan cooled. Below is a link to Globars website.

http://www.globar.com/ec/tubular.php.html

http://www.globar.com/ec/axial.php.html

http://www.globar.com/ec/slab.php.html

http://www.globar.com/ec/water.php.html

http://www.globar.com/ec/app.php.html

What one might do is catch some of these on ebay like I did. A big load will cost some $ no matter how you go about it.

Best & 73's

Will Matney

Dear Will,

Some months ago Rich Measures was talking about ordering some special
resistors
from Ohmite or the-like to fill a need for a project he was doing.

In that time I was bench testing the Emtron DX-3 and was using the MFJ
oil-filled Cantenna clone, and that got really hot after 10 seconds and
the red plug
popped off and my hotel room smelled like the french-fry concession at
Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, so I had to upgrade.

When the Palstar 5KW fan-cooled dummy load arrived I took it apart to see if UPS had incurred there usual shipping damage on anything fragile
going through their system and noticed the carbon-pile type cylindrical
resistors being used: 100.34 ohms, nominal,l about 12 inches long, 2
inches
in diameter, sintered gold plating on the ends, clips holding them in and
some HV caps at the hot ends to counter the reactance that the case
and resistors probably conjured up. This device seems to work very well, because the fans kick in and stay lit until the pile cools
down.

I took apart the Cantenna and measured the smaller but similar carbon
pile
resistor in that unit. It was 65.7 ohms and MFJ sent me out a free
replacement
resistor, which was 50.75 ohms, well within their 10 percent tolerance.

The whole point of this is if it's possible to obtain carbon pile type
resistors
of sufficient dissipation to construct a 20KW resistive load.  Mr.
Measures
uses the garden hose to cool down the resistor body in a carefully
engineered
conical assembly, but what about those experimenters who just want to
have
an air-cooled deal that will fit in the shack?  Power-dividing and using
the resistor
elements from Cantennae suspended in the bathtub is a practical solution,
but that
gets real old when the YL spots it.

Sorry for the long wind, messieurs. The recent spate of posts about dummy
loads
catches my attention.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM