Re: [Amps] bias for 3cx3000

To: "Stan C." <kf6ikc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] bias for 3cx3000
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 02:41:31 -0700

On Oct 3, 2004, at 4:40 PM, Stan C. wrote:

Hello to all. I need some of the experts to give me some advice on a HB amp I am building. I am using a 3CX3000A7 in GG. I want to ad some bias to bring down the zero signal current. To do this I want to use a variac,small transformer,and rectifier.
Will this work.

** Yes, Stan, but you could accomplish this by letting the tube bias itself to zero current by putting a 10k to 100k, 2w R in series with the cathode, and then shorting it out on Tx - either with a relay or with an NPN switch in a circuit like:
http://www.somis.org/HSS-diagram.jpg

I am looking at a 3-5 amp variac. A 24vct transformer rated for 5 amps. And a bridge rectifier (the square kind you bolt down).
Will this work? Do I need to use a small choke in series with the rectified DC to the cathode? Do I run the B+ to the cathode and B- to the grid current meter?

B+ goes to the anode. The –HV (B-minus). gets to gnd through the grid-current meter shunt R. Glitch diodes should be connected across the shunt R. the –HV gets to the cathode through a 10uH or so RFC.

I hope you can get an idea of what I want to do with this little bit of info. I would like to be able to vari the bias voltage and that is why I am not using a bunch of zeners,block diodes,etc. And yes I know you can run this tube zero bias. But I like a little bias to help the tube run a little cooler,etc.

Running the tube cooler can be achieved by using VOX and an electronic cathode bias switch. However, if you are into broadcasting, forgetaboutit.

Any help or ideas would be great. Always like to enrich my knowledge.

Take care,Stan

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org