Re: [Amps] Plate modulator xmfr ?

To: StephenTetorka@cs.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate modulator xmfr ?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:23:43 -0700

On Oct 10, 2004, at 5:11 AM, StephenTetorka@cs.com wrote:

Hi all:

I need to better understand the workings of a plate modulator for AM.

Considering the RF amp with 2 x 813's and the modulator with 2 x 813's - what
are the equations and math to work out the required wattage, impedance, step
ratio etc.

- My first clue that some strange things were going on during "plate modulation" was when I attended a lecture by Eimac's Ham-rep, John Reinartz Plate modulation is a strange animal because the Class-C RF stage load R on the modulator is assumed to be constant in the standard formulas, however, the instantaneous load R at 100% modulation varies from c. half of what the standard formula predicts at the positive-peak. when 2x the indicated current flows, to over 1M-ohms at the negative peak when zero current flows. Another complication is that much less power is required from the modulator during the negative half of the modulation cycle than the positive half -- which the standard formula does not take into account.

An old timer (W6SDM) told me:
1. In order for a modulator to produce the peak audio power needed to 100% positively modulate a Class C RF stage, it needs to be able to produce more power than the standard formula says is needed. For example, a 1000V, 100mA, 100W Class C RF stage: The formula says that 50w-rms of audio is needed to modulate it. However, at the positive peak, the modulator must produce 1000V-pk at 200mA-peak -- which =s a peak power of 200w, or 100w-rms.
2. The most important design consideration for determining the turns-ratio in the modulation transformer is to make sure that when the positive peak secondary V is produced, the instantaneous anode-cathode V in the modulator tube that is conducting during the positive-output half of the cycle remains in the linear region, and is not in the non-linear/saturation region.

- - The short version:
- One needs a modulator that can produce the same RMS output power as the input power to the Class C RF stage being modulated.
- The mod-xfmr secondary Z that will produce the best modulation is c. half of what the standard formula says it should be.

Mr. Murphy said that things are usually not as simple as they first look.

Ref: http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Amps/2001-06/msg00326.html

And, just how much can one depart from the ideal arrangement and with what
effects? ( should I not be able to find the right xmfr for this amp I'm planning
to build ).

PS: I am seeking that modulator xmfr at this time.

Free, unsolicited advice: Using c. 2500vdc, 4, 813s in g-g will linearly produce 1500w-pep. When driven by a modern transceiver that uses low-level modulation followed by linear amplification, the distortion produced will be virtually undetectable to the human ear. However, "plate modulation" produces noticeable distortion.

cheers, Steve

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org