Re: [Amps] why does input SWR change when HV applied?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] why does input SWR change when HV applied?
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:40:11 -0400
Neil,

Without any plate voltage, the internal resistance is different than when the tube is operating and the anode impedance drops. Checking it without voltage, it will be different (higher resistance), then when the anode voltage is applied, the resistance drops.

Will Matney

Neil Carr G0JHC wrote:

I have a question..maybe dump, but I don't know the answer.

Just finished a YC156 amp .all working well.

I was surprised to have to re-tune the input  circuit to such an extend
that I had to open up and re-size the coils (Single band 6m amp).

Input tuning was done after 6 mins heater warm up with an MFJ analyser, but
no HV.  Soon as I applied the HV the input SWR shot from 1.0 to 3.0. This
would vary slightly between 4kv and 5kv.

Why would the i/p swr change so much once HV was applied? ..and then change
slightly dependant on how much HV?

Looking forward to any replies.

73 Neil G0JHC

http://www.nod32.com