Re: [Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?

To: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50 or 60 Hz, a problem?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:06:29 -0800

On Jan 10, 2005, at 11:51 PM, Steve Thompson wrote:

Will Matney wrote:
Bob,

That settles it then, I'd say Heath built about everything with 50 Hz
transformers, or at least after a certain year I imagine.

In amps where it matters (probably those with external anode tubes rather
than Heath stuff), beware of blower ratings. The loss of pressure and
airflow at 50Hz instead of 60Hz can be significant if the cooling capacity
is marginal.

The speed of the shaded-pole, current-limiting fan motor in a SB-220 is largely a function of air-resistance to the fan blade. Hence, a SB220's fan blade spins faster in 12,000ft high, 50Hz La Paz than it does in sea-level 60Hz Boston. And, as a result, the CFM is semi-constant with changes in air-density. As I see it, the SB-220's design is simple, yet sophisticated.

cheers, Steve

Steve

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org