Re: [Amps] 2 X 3-500Z's and Plate Voltage Choice

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2 X 3-500Z's and Plate Voltage Choice
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:45:42 -0700 (PDT)
Steve,
That's what my Henry runs (4kV SSB/3kV CW, no load).  Under load, it drops to
something like 2800 & 3700.

And I've seen over 2k with just over 100W input.  I now have a rig that will
drive it with 150W, but I have yet to try it.  I can send you some pics of the
amp's HV meter & RF Applications VFD power meter, if you like.  I have no
doubts that the tube is good for 1kW each (ask Ameritron about their AL-80B).

Joe, N3JI

sccook1@cox.net wrote:
Morning all,

Was thinking about upgrading my Henry 2K-4 to a 4A configuration with the
CW/SSB switch. Was also thinking about puting in a transformer with two
secondary voltages. I have seen amps running a pair of 3-500Zs with all kind of
plate voltage schemes -- some running CW plate voltage as low as 2100 V no-load
and as high as 4KV for SSB no-load.

What would be a suitable voltage to shoot for for CW and SSB? 3000/4000? Less /
More?

Your thoughts?

Steve (WG7K)