Re: [Amps] Grounded Screen 4CX1500B

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grounded Screen 4CX1500B
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:39:24 +0000

David Kirkby wrote:
> Conrad_G0RUZ wrote:
>
>>For the uninitiated the weasel or whistle or various other names was the
>>nickname for the push pull 2 x 4CX250B amplifier published by W1SL which got
>>a reputation for not working too well. This was because UK amateurs insisted
>>on using the wrong type of surplus socket.
I've seen them working fine with several different sockets - I've found
any socket with a built in screen cap is ok at VHF. The original design
had huge gain, something that was hidden in class C use. It really shows
when people started piling on the anode volts and linear bias - I
suspect many just didn't get the neutralising right. Resistively loading
the grids so it needs 20-30W drive in AB1 makes life much easier.

The big thing I saw was the need to get the loading right. The original
design loaded lightly - probably to get the efficiency up for cw use,
but with higher voltage and linear bias it just gives more gain and
potential problems.

Personally, I hate tuned link coupling, but that's another soapbox....

Steve