Re: [Amps] More On: LK-2000HD photos

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More On: LK-2000HD photos
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:03:55 -0500
Scott,

You can rewind that choke pretty easy using 28 gage magnet wire. Just fill the
form up the length of the old winding. I'd say that's about the gage they used
too. After it's wound, either spray, or dip it in some polyurathane varnish,
and let it dry. Before the varnish though, check it for its self resonant
frequency. Short the coil out with a jumper wire, and use a dip meter to find
it's SR frequency. It's best to read the freq off the dip meter with a freq
counter. Just put a coil on the freq counter lead of several turns of wire and
hold the dip meter coil paralell to it. Where the dip is, is the SR frequency.
If its SR is on an operating band, just remove a few turns off the top and it
should move it to where it wont hurt anything. Check again with the dip meter
until it's right. If you dont want to mess with rewinding it, MFJ-Ameritron, RF
Parts, and B&W all sell plate chokes.

If the tank circuit coil dont look like it's been cut on, and all there, I'd
just try replacing the 15 meter tap and give it a smoke test. You should see
where the original tap was soldered on the tank coil. 15 meters will be just on
the large coil, or where it just drops down in size if they're using two
diameters of coil conductors. The large coil is for 10 meters toward the Tune
C. generally where the large and small coil meets is about where 15 meters is
at on some amps. Under 15 meters, the conductor that the coil is made with dont
have to be as large in diameter due to the skin effect (lower freq current
moves toward center of conductor). Some amps though use the same conductor,
usually copper tubing for the entire tank coil. If so, you'll have to find
where it was soldered if that's the case. It will be towards Tune C though.

Best,

Will