Re: [Amps] QSK (okay, not QSK...)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK (okay, not QSK...)
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:01:04 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:06:20 +0000, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
>
>>Most people wouldn't dream of trying to interrupt a
>>contest transmission before it's finished
>
>Huh? I do it all the time!

Sorry, that wasn't clear. What I meant to say was : "Most people
wouldn't dream of trying to interrupt the other station's contest
transmission before it's finished, because it probably won't work and at
best there is only about one second to be gained."

In other words, when you are sending a contest exchange using QSK, how
often does the other station try to interrupt you?

[...]

>With respect to relays -- I own three models of Ten Tec amps, all
>bought used. I've replaced the high voltage relays in the two that
>I've used most. Since both had a lot of miles on them before I
>bought them, I have no way of knowing if, or how many times, they
>might have been replaced. Replacements typically cost $40 (pulls
>from industrial gear) -$80 (new-Gigavac) if you know where to
>look. I own spares of both types.

Yes, know the ones, and have used the Jennings and Kilovac relays from
Allen Bond.

Regardless of my own feelings, the customer is always right - the next
generation of my Triode Board will have full support for QSK! If the
user wants QSK, all he will need to provide are the high-speed RF relays
or PIN switches. Testing for that board (with vacuum relays) is a long
way down the line, and the next generation of Tetrode Boards will follow
later.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK