Re: [Amps] SB-220 Shorted HV Transformer

To: leolists@seidkr.com, amps@contesting.com (Amps)
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 Shorted HV Transformer
From: jkearman@att.net (Jim Kearman)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:24:35 +0000
From: Philip Leonard WVØT <leolists@seidkr.com>
> I never thought of using a water-only run on a dishwasher to clean up a
> dirty amp.  I have a SB-200 that has sat in a garage for many years and
> is very dirty inside.  I may have to try this method.  Do you dry it
> with the dishwashers drying element or let it air dry (or both)?

Especially seeing the OP's results, I sure wouldn't do this! Taking shortcuts
too often leads to serious trouble. IMO, if you want to clean it to pristine
condition, the _only_ safe method is to completely dissassemble it, clean the
components with the appropriate chemicals, and reassemble it. You can probably
lift out some subassemblies as a unit, so you don't have to unsolder every
connection. Submersing transformers in water is a bad idea, IMO.

I once worked for a Motorola two-way shop, in the days of vacuum-tube gear. We
had the contract for the city, and the radios in garbage trucks were usually
pretty grungy. We hosed them down with pressurized solvent. I forget what it
was, but it was later found to be extremely toxic. After the hosing we
realigned them. But those radios didn't have airwound coils on plastic
spreaders, either.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/